Bob Hope USO Careers
Position Description: Controller (Part Time)
Long Beach, CA
Bob Hope USO provides USO services and programming to service members and military families across a 50,000-square mile swath of Southern and Central California. A dynamic and expanding organization, we are an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization operating under a charter from USO, Inc. We provide morale, welfare and recreation services to members of the U.S. military, their families and qualifying military retirees. We operate centers at LAX, Ontario International Airport, Palm Springs International Airport, John Wayne Airport, Military Entrance Processing Station Los Angeles and March ARB, as well as provide USO programming and outreach at military installations across throughout the region. Although congressionally chartered, we are not a government agency and rely entirely on contributions from patriotic Americans and philanthropic corporations and organizations. In 2019, our programs will directly serve 260,000 military members and their families.
Working Conditions: Professional office with occasional outdoor and/or offsite requirements
The Controller reports to the President and is responsible for supervising the accounting, finance, reporting and regulatory requirements of the organization. The Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board and finance committee, as well as ensuring that the organization is prepared for the annual audit. This position, currently budgeted for 12-15 hours per week, provides flexible work hours during normal business hours at our Long Beach, CA headquarters office. While the hours may fluctuate, this position is not anticipated to develop into full time and as such, applicants should apply with that understanding.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide supervision and guidance for the finance operations of an operating budget of $2.2M and a capital budget of $5M working closely with the full-time staff accountant. Responsibilities will include functional oversight of accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, audit preparation, regulatory requirements and budget. The Controller will ensure that Bob Hope USO has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and provide for accurate, complete and timely reporting.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Assist with coordination of all audit activity.
- Analyze financial data and develop/present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Assist Bob Hope USO leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process and in preparing financial metrics for board meetings and external parties.
- Review revenue and expense journal entries to assure accurate coding and recordation.
- Provide guidance and direction to Staff Accountant when needed.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, volunteers and key Bob Hope USO stakeholders including but not limited to military leadership, municipal government leaders and donors as needed
- Other relevant duties as assigned
Job Specifications – minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors necessary to perform the job competently
- CPA highly desirable.
- Minimum five years of experience in a related role. Demonstrated ability to work with colleagues possessing a range of accounting skills, from little to significant.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Bob Hope USO’s mission; a proactive, hands-on team player who will help the organization ensure continued adherence to GAAP and industry best practices, as well as assist in identifying innovative and entrepreneurial means to improve the financial and accounting operations of the organization.
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred with prior controller or similar experience
- A track record in internal control evaluation, development and review.
- Comfort with QuickBooks Online and/or Network For Good software desirable
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus. simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to staff and board.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and oral communications as well as excellent knowledge of various software programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to independently prioritize tasks and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, attention to detail, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to sit and operate a computer/use a phone for extended periods.
- Must be a strong advocate of USO’s mission to support military members and their families.
Level of Authority: Work is minimally supervised and position has significant authority over finance and accounting matters.
This position is hourly and FLSA non-exempt. Travel is rare but includes quarterly participation in Bob Hope USO off-site staff meetings.
Submissions will not be considered without both a resume and cover letter. Applicants should submit their resume and cover letter, in PDF format, to HR@BobHopeUSO.org and indicate “Controller (Part Time)” in the email subject line.
The Bob Hope USO offers a competitive salary based on experience, responsibilities and qualifications, as well as a healthcare plan, life insurance and 20 days of annual paid time off.