Bob Hope USO Careers
Position Description: Desert Area Manager
Palm Springs, CA
Bob Hope USO provides USO services and programming to service members and military families across a 50,000-square mile swath of Southern and Central California. A dynamic and expanding organization, we are an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization operating under a charter from USO, Inc. We provide morale, welfare and recreation services to members of the U.S. military, their families and qualifying military retirees. We operate centers at LAX, Ontario International Airport, Palm Springs International Airport, John Wayne Airport, Military Entrance Processing Station Los Angeles and March ARB, as well as provide USO programming and outreach at military installations across throughout the region. Although congressionally chartered, we are not a government agency and rely entirely on contributions from patriotic Americans and philanthropic corporations and organizations. In 2018, our programs will directly serve 240,000 military members and their families.
Working Conditions: Normal office environment with frequent outdoor and/or offsite events and activities.
The Desert Area Manager is responsible for the day-to-day activities of a Bob Hope USO Center, ensuring continued programmatic growth and expansion of a financially viable operation. This position provides leadership to 100+ volunteers at the Center to offer a warm, friendly, inviting environment for troops and their families while simultaneously adhering to program and organizational policies, procedures and practices. The Desert Area Manager reports to the Bob Hope Director for Centers and Programs. The Palm Springs Center serves 34,000 troops and military families a year including USO entertainment, programs and events at 29 Palms Marine Corps Base. Bob Hope USO is in a very aggressive period of growth as we expand our programming and presence in our service area and our Area Managers play a key role in this effort. Being able to adapt to change, develop and implement new policies and procedures, and manage key projects are important factors of success in this role.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide active, thoughtful and innovative leadership to volunteers, the daily operations of a premier facility and to Bob Hope USO engagement in the community and on base.
- Manage operational procedures, including but not limited to performing activities related to providing cost-effective, safe, welcoming, clean and well-maintained facilities and program delivery in and out of the actual airport center.
- Actively manage full-cycle human capital activities including recruitment, supervision, training & development and recognition for volunteer workforce. Ensure delivery of excellent customer service.
- In partnership with the senior staff and board, identify and foster/support opportunities for growth of financial and in-kind resources necessary for center operations, including but not limited to development and fundraising initiatives, programs and activities.
- Develop/expand/maintain working relationships with local military leadership, airport management, local business and community leadership.
- Oversee full-cycle project management including planning, delivery and assessment of programs, services, equipment and events in the community, at the center and on area military installations, within budgeted limits. Identify and implement improvements that maintain superior guest and volunteer satisfaction.
- As directed by leadership, perform and monitor financial activities, including but not limited to creation and execution of operating budget, donation receipt and/or other revenue and banking transactions.
- Prepare, review and present reports, including but not limited to financial, operational and statistical reports. Create and/or maintain records required for local procedures and activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will display a strong combination of the following skills, qualifications and experience:
- Minimum five years’ experience in a supervisory role. Demonstrated ability to create and lead high-performing teams. Successful management of a large volunteer force highly preferred.
- Proven ability to successfully collaborate with colleagues and volunteers to meet the mission of the organization.
- Four-year university degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to maintain clear, frequent communication with the Director for Centers and Programs.
- Existing knowledge of the Palm Springs area and philanthropic community and resources is preferred.
- Knowledge of Inventory Management and Food Service Supply operational procedures and policies is preferred.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, working with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and oral communications and of various software programs including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Skilled at public speaking with high level of comfort speaking to both large and small audiences of a diverse background.
- Collaborative problem-solver able to quickly and accurately identify and analyze complex challenges and implement effective and efficient solutions.
- Working familiarity of the military, military structure and military families highly preferred.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, attention to detail, organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency interpreting and understanding simple P&L statements. Ability to perform basic accounting functions including cash handling and budget reconciliation.
- Employees must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and be able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
- Must be a strong, articulate advocate of the USO’s mission to support military members and their families.
Level of Authority: Work is minimally supervised, with some discretion over matters of significance. Purchasing authority as specified by the Bob Hope USO President.
This position is FLSA exempt and may routinely require attendance and/or management at evening and weekend events. Limited overnight travel is required.
Submissions will not be considered without both a resume and cover letter. Applicants should submit their resume and cover letter, in PDF format, to HR@BobHopeUSO.org and indicate “Desert Area Manager” in the email subject line.
The Bob Hope USO offers a competitive salary based on experience, responsibilities and qualifications, as well as a healthcare plan, life insurance and 20 days of annual paid time off.